Monday, February 19, 2007

The Necessary Relativism of Being Well

This semester, I'm taking a class on Soren Kierkegaard. One of the most notable aspects of his later writings is his emphasis on the necessity of suffering (a less than popular claim in American Christianity). His ideas have been bouncing around in my head, working their way into my life. I guess they have found their root in what I might call my "sufferings" as of late. Not to say that what I experience actually deserves such a title. It is trivial. It is pathetic.

And yet, as I walk away from my meaningless tribulations, I somehow find myself smiling. A man walks by, asking how I am, and I respond with a resounding "GREAT!" The odd thing is, I somehow believe it. Maybe its because my suffering is meaningless to what it could be. I am well-fed, well-off and unscathed.

I have recently realized that I may be as much of a cynic as one who believes in Christ can be. How can I be so negative when I am well?

At least I don't have any Peter Pan peanut butter.

1 comment:

Joshua Collins said...

nice thoughts. it's seems so hard to walk the thin line avoiding both cynicism and unrealistic outlooks on the world.