Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Grown Up Life

I have finally come fully into adulthood. That's what they tell me anyway. And they have told me quite a bit unto this point. They taught me to always brush my teeth, always pay my taxes, always work hard and follow your dreams. Through the years that once seemed endless, the infamous They has been consistently pouring its experience out onto my life. They told me to learn from their mistakes, and avoid my own. They told me to study hard, to get a good job. They supposedly told me everything I need to know.

And now, I'm sitting in an office doing a job with relatively little to do with my "formal training," making it up as I go. Luckily, They told me it would be like this. They told me so much that I didn't believe. I think the biggest fact I avoided was the hardest lesson They have tried to teach. They told me I would fail. They warned me that I would come flying out of college, fling my whole heart into an endeavor and fall flat on my face. They told me that it would take time to not only find, but to carve my way into the professional world. They told me it would be the farthest thing from easy. And They were right.

And now I am learning the one thing They can't teach: perseverance. I feel so much like giving up. I didn't think it would be this hard. I didn't think it would hurt this much. But it does. And the only way to learn perseverance is to endure. The only way to become strong and accomplished is to stand underneath the weight of the world.

And have faith.

2 comments:

Michael Gilley said...

Who says we have to listen to them?
They do!

How are things Matt? What are you up to now?

Michael Gilley said...

Good to hear from you. I'm not up to much either. I took a position here in town at FBC as the College Minister till I go to grad school. I'm applying to Fuller. We'll see if I get in....

PS My parents ordered graduation pictures and they got your hairy face. :)