Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Musical Review

I suppose I should leave the reviews to people with a plethora of readers, as their input and endorsements actually make a lick of difference in the world, but I earnestly believe that even my few measly (in number, not in character) readers ought to be listening to August, Inland.

August, Inland is a band of guys who I went to college with (save one who was still in high school in the thriving metropolis of Bolivar). They are Andrew Reeves, lyricist, lead singer, guitar player, philosopher and independent producer extraordinaire. On electric guitar is Joe Still, a beautiful lyricist in his own right, and a folk singer à la Bob Dylan when he's not backing Reeves up. The bassist is Dustin Gamble, an incredibly versatile musician, who when not with August, Inland has been known to sing some of the most meaningful folk ballads since the late, great Elliot Smith.

But in this instance, Reeves' lyrics are show-cased, and they don't disappoint. It seems to me that Reeves' songs embody the typical struggle of an emerging generation in the midst of a complicated society (socially, politically and religiously) that fails to meaningfully address the issues that generation deems truly important. 

My personal favorite song is "i dream of money in my sleep." I'll let the lyrics speak for themselves:

I dream of money in my sleep.
My financial security is more like idolatry,
the demon laying next to me.
And I toss in anger all night
at the government's decision to fight.
When the causalities of war are the poor lying dead in our streets.

And I guess that I'm just scared of what I can't see.
And if all of these things that have such control over me.
It all seems so confusing.

Well, my father, he went down to Africa
and saw a girl no older than my sister was
just playin' in the dirt
oblivous to the pain around her
And I have found in that little girl a song
about the earth and those that I love.
I guess we're all just spinning,
waiting for the sun to destroy us.

So I follow the road down to the coast.
And I try to clear my head in Mexico,
but this heat and the storms and the salt only makes me hurt for her.

So I come back to my landlocked island.
Yeah, the cold dead core of the earth.
Missouri holds me captive,
like a slave who takes his chains to freedom.

And I guess I've always been scared
of running away from you.
And ironically enough, that's what I always seem to do.
and I'm sorry, baby, I'm just a little confused.

Cuz I'm not too far from the businessman
or those kids that I see on those commercials
We're all three looking for some meaning
or chasing some dream for truth.

So I dream of money in my sleep.
And I fight for my rights in those dreams.
Cuz I deserve a tax return,
and reserve the right to say whatever I please,
and there's no need to preach at me.
It's all very simple Darwinian Theology,
no room for equality.
Hey, I'm just trying to make a living here.
Oh well.
We can all get saved by democracy.

Check out August, Inland at VIRB or their myspace. You won't regret it. I promise.

No comments: